Thursday, September 7, 2006

Birthdays

I have a birthday coming up in two weeks. I expect this to be the worst birthday ever. In fact, if I *don't* eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner alone, I will be amazed.

Okay, so I'm an introvert. I don't mind being alone. I don't mind eating alone. I'm perfectly happy with having one great friend. In fact, that's about all I've ever really been capable of doing. In April of last year, my best friend and I moved out to Los Angeles--a city 3000 miles from anyone either of us knew. I was fine with this. I had my one friend. In fact, I thought it was absolutely amazing being in a city full of strangers--just the two of us. We could be and become whomever we wanted.

I lost my fear of calling myself an atheist. I also lost my best friend.

She got a new friend. He wasn't really a new friend, actually. He was a guy that she had screwed over many years ago in order to wind up with me. He sent her flowers on her birthday, even after we got married.

In April of this year, she told me she was leaving me. A week later, my dad and stepmother came to spend a week with us here in Los Angeles. She pretended nothing was going on for their benefit. For much of May and June, I slept on our brand new sofa. The end of June, she moved out. She's now very happy with the new guy, and she believes she's finally found her soulmate. She's the happiest she has ever been in her entire life (her words). Last week, she went to North Carolina to see him. They are talking about getting married and starting a family by this time next year.

Last September, I was the happiest I had ever been in my life. It's amazing what can change in a year.


Today was her birthday. Well, happy birthday Bonnie. I hope you get everything you've ever dreamed of and more.






Okay... on a slightly more humorous note... I'm not going to have sex on my birthday. It'll be like my 18th birthday. Errr... well, maybe my 17th.

No comments: