Monday, January 1, 2007

Minority Status

According to my mother, we no longer have to check the "Caucasian" box when asked our race. I am now "Appalachian," and we are considered a minority. :) We are among the last cultural groups which are still acceptable to make fun of (e.g. Beverly Hillbillies). While I may not strike you as the redneck type, remember that cultural groups do not distinguish based on IQ, income, or education. The fact that I actual speak English correctly does not make me any less of an Appalachian than the next native (Think of how big of an uproar there would be if an African-American were denied protection simply because they come from an affluent household).

So, this affluent German/Scots-Irish white boy is now a minority thanks to my ancestors that settled in the Appalachian Mountains many, many generations ago, and thanks to the fact that none of them chose to leave. Ironic, eh?

No comments: